What is Nutritional
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
I'm a certified Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner & AIP Certified Coach specializing in digestion/gut health and blood sugar management, but I'm happy to help you with your other nutritional needs too!
Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (FNTP) is a very specific certification that many people, even within the nutrition world, don’t know exists. FNTPs have a unique knowledge base and skill set to evaluate an individual’s nutritional health and make specific recommendations that aim to restore balance and optimal function within the body. FNTPs are different than Registered DieticiFans/Nutritionists (RDN), Certified Nutrition Specialists (CNS) or other nutrition professionals. We’re also very different than a health coach or wellness coach. Being an FNTP is like being a combination of a nutritionist, detective, human body mechanic, counselor and guide.
I received my FNTP certification in 2015 (certification # 2444) from the Nutritional Therapy Association and my AIP Certified Coach certification in 2020 through the Autoimmune Certified Coach Program.
Nutritional Therapy can help you feel better and experience better health.
It's a personalized, foundational, functional, and holistic approach. It goes deeper than nutrients and calories. It’s all about you. I consider many factors to create personalized recommendations that are your next steps to take, towards feeling better and experiencing better health.
There is no one exactly like you. We call this bio-individuality. Many factors contribute to who you are today. These include genetics, health history, lifestyle, diet, antibiotic use, other medications, supplement use, toxic exposure, stress, sleep, symptoms, etc.
Your symptoms may be the same as your best friend’s, but may have different causes. Understanding the root causes of your symptoms is key to providing you with recommendations that result in you feeling better and experiencing better health.
I consider and respect your bio-individuality when making your personalized recommendations.
Digestion and Blood Sugar Regulation are just two of six foundations that need to be strong and balanced for you to experience optimal health. The other four are: diet, mineral balance, fatty acid balance and hydration. Foundational imbalances or weaknesses and nutritional deficiencies are often the root causes of symptoms.
I use several tools to assess your foundational health and make recommendations to restore strength and balance.
Food is more than calories. It’s information that effects your body on the cellular level. It effects how your cells, tissues and organs behave, and how you feel. Functional Nutrition focuses on building health by restoring proper physiological functioning of your body. In other words, it’s using nutrition to help your body work better. When your body works better, you feel better. Symptoms are clues to understanding what’s not working as it should. They are your body’s way of telling you something. When you don't listen, they get louder. Learning to listen is an important part of Nutritional Therapy.
Your recommendations are designed to restore optimal function to your digestive system and other foundations of health.
You are whole. You're more than a collection of symptoms, cells and organs. Your symptoms, cells and organs are all intimately interconnected and must be considered as a whole. What effects one thing effects everything.
I take time to consider your whole health picture and look for how it’s all related.
These are the tools I use to assess your bio-individual needs, foundational and functional health, in a holistic way, to come up with your personalized recommendations:
written interview including questions about your health and lifestyle history and goals
talking with you and listening to you
online nutritional health assessment questionnaire (more extensive than my free digestive quiz)
food journal review and evaluation
Nutritional Therapy is a process. Here's how it works:
1. Choose the package that best fits your needs and schedule your Initial Consultation online here. Payment is due and will be collected at time of scheduling.
2. Within 24 hours of scheduling, you'll receive an e-mail with everything you need to know and do before your Initial Consultation.
3. Complete the requested information by the date specified (48 hours before your Initial Consultation).
4. I'll review your information thoroughly.
5. We'll meet for your virtual Initial Consultation. We'll talk about your lifestyle and health goals, go over your food journal and results of your online questionnaire and talk about recommendations that fit your personality and lifestyle.
6. After your consultation (usually the next day), you'll receive your personalized recommendations to follow by e-mail. Helpful handouts and other resources will be provided as needed. These are the next steps you need to take to feel better and experience better health.
7. You follow your recommendations until your Follow Up Visit 4-6 weeks later (can be sooner or later if that fits your need better). In between visits, I offer unlimited e-mail support and weekly e-mail check ins with feedback provided.
8. We meet for your Follow Up Visit to talk about how things are going and determine best next steps for you. After your Follow Up Visit, you'll receive updated Nutritional Recommendations to follow. From here, Follow Up Visits can be scheduled as/if needed. Continued unlimited e-mail support and weekly e-mail check ins with feedback are included for 4 weeks after each Follow Up Visit.
If you're ready to get started, you can schedule online here.
If you have additional questions, please visit the FAQ page. If your question is unanswered, please e-mail me here.
Still not sure? I'd love to talk with you! Contact me to schedule your FREE 15 minute call to learn more about nutritional therapy, if the services I offer are a good fit for your needs and if we’re a good fit for working together. I look forward to hearing from you!