Have you ever made a New Year’s resolution only to get to the end of the year having not followed through despite your initial best intentions? Following through to create lasting change can take time and dedication. It can be difficult, but it’s worth it. Once you get going and gain some momentum it can get easier.
Here are a few ideas to help you follow through with your resolutions and create lasting change.....
1. Start by deciding what it is that you would like to change. It has to come from within and you have to really want it.
2. Next, find your why. Take some time by yourself to think about why you really want to make this change. Be completely honest with yourself. This is just for you. Whatever your why is, remember it. Write it down if it’s helpful. Remind yourself of your why every single morning first thing when you wake up. After a while it will become a habit.
3. Make time. Time is actually one thing we all have an equal amount of. The difference is in how we choose to spend it. If you think you don’t have time to make changes, write down how you spend your time for 1-3 days. Then look at it and ask yourself if there is anything you are willing to spend less time doing to help you reach your goal. Is there something that isn’t as high of a priority that you could say no to? Saying no to one thing can make time to say yes to something that is a bigger priority. Even just a few minutes a day can give you enough time to get started towards you goal.
4. Just begin. Start where you are with what you have. There’s usually something you can do right now to move you closer to where you want to be. Take a moment to brainstorm things that you could do today to move you a little closer to your goal. Then choose one and do it. Tomorrow do one thing too, then the next day and the next. Put it on your calendar if it helps. Think about how much closer to your goal you will be in 30, 60...365 days.
5. Make reminders. Put a reminder of your goal on your calendar every month for the entire year. If life gets busy and you get distracted this can help you remember what you decided you wanted for yourself. Take a few minutes each month to think about how you're progressing towards your goal. What's working? What's not? What can you do differently starting now?
6. Keep going. Do your best and don’t be hard on yourself if you stumble. Keep moving in the direction of what you want. If you have setbacks, don’t use that as an excuse to quit. Remind yourself of your why and keep going. Listen to stories of the most successful people and you will learn that most failed over, and over before succeeding.
7. Draw on your own life experience. Think of a positive change that you have made before. How did you do it? How did you feel when you started? Was it easy? Did you do it anyway? How did you feel once you reached your goal? My guess is pretty good. Use that feeling for fuel.
8. Focus on what you want instead of what you don't. Instead of thinking about what you are giving up, think of all the things you can have or do.
One of the many beautiful things about life is that each day, each moment we’re alive, is a new chance to make different choices. You never know where one small change will lead. Little changes repeated often are how effortless habits are created.
I hope this post is helpful. I wish you good health and success in any changes you decide to make for yourself in 2018! If you would like help reaching your health and nutrition related goals I would be happy to work with you. You can schedule today here.